Lauki ki Sabji with step by step photo and video recipe.
Lauki according to me is the most underrated vegetable. I love how versatile this vegetable is. Known by the different names lauki, ghiya, dhudhi, sorakaya, bottle gourd, opo squash this vegetable is extremely healthy.
We eat lauki at least for 4 meals in a week. Yes, I am not even kidding. I love this vegetable as it adopts any flavours and tastes delicious.
There are various ways in which we can make lauki ki sabji. This is my Mom’s Punjabi Style Lauki ki Sabji recipe and I have grown up eating lauki, this way the most.
The sweetness of onion and tartness of tomatoes along with tender lauki makes this bottle gourd curry a delicious lunch or dinner along with roti or paratha.
Video Recipe –
The various different ways to use lauki in day to day meals –
This recipe of lauki is –
1. Easy and quick to make
3. Healthy & Delicious
More Homely Style Sabzi Recipes –
How to prepare for Lauki Ki Sabji Recipe –
To prepare for this recipe of ghiya or dhudhi ki sabji, peel and cut onion. Wash tomato and finely chop them.
Wash and peel lauki and keep spices ready.
How to make Lauki ki Sabji at Home–
Heat oil in a pressure cooker, splutter cumin seeds. Add garlic and cook well.
Next, add finely chopped onion and cook well. To flavour add in the spices and salt.
Also, add tomatoes and till it starts to separate oil from sides. Finally, add lauki and give it a good mix.
Add water, cover and cook for 2 whistles. Open the cooker only when steam is released by itself.
Is lauki good for health?
Lauki has high water content and is rich in Vitamin & Calcium. It helps in lowering the bad cholesterol and stabilizes the sugar level. It is advised for a diabetic patient.
Is lauki good for weight loss?
Lauki is easy to digest and helps in a good night’s sleep. Which in turn result in good metabolism. For this reason, lauki or bottle gourd is highly recommended for weight-loss.
How to buy lauki?
Make sure the lauki doesn’t have any spots and have a good light green colour. It should be firm yet soft.
Things to keep in mind while making Lauki Ki Sabji –
1. Cut lauki into equal pieces for perfect cooking.
2. Do not overcook lauki else it will turn mushy.
3. Lauki already has high water content, add water as per required consistency.
4. Make sure to cook onion and tomato very well, else it will give the raw taste.
5. Lower the flame while adding spices so prevent from burning.
Step by Step Lauki Ki Sabji Recipe –
1. Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Splutter cumin seeds.
2. Add garlic and cook for a min.
3. Next add finely chopped onion and cook till nicely golden brown.
4. To flavour the sabzi, add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and salt. Give it a good mix.
5. Next add finely chopped tomatoes and cook till starts to separate oil from sides.
6. Finally add lauki, and mix well. Add some water as required.
7. Cover and cook for 2 whistles, one on a high flame and another on low flame. Open the cooker only when pressure is released by itself.
8. Garnish with coriander leaves and give it mix.
9. Serve hot with roti or paratha.
How to serve Lauki Ki Sabji –
Pair this lauki ki sabji with lacha paratha or roti, steamed rice, papad and salad to make a complete Indian meal.
You can also pin this recipe on Pinterest for later referral.
Please do Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for updates on video recipes.
Lauki Ki Sabji
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Tsp Garlic
- 1 No. Finely Chopped Onion (Medium)
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 Cup Finely Chopped Tomatoes
- 500 gms Lauki (Bottlegourd)
- Water as required
- 2 Tbsp Coriander leaves
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Splutter cumin seeds.
- Add garlic and cook for a min.
- Next add finely chopped onion and cook till nicely golden brown.
- To flavour the sabzi, add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and salt. Give it a good mix.
- Next add finely chopped tomatoes and cook till starts to separate oil from sides.
- Finally add lauki and cook for 2 whistles, one on a high flame and another on low flame.
- Open the cooker only when pressure is released by itself.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and give it mix.
- Serve hot with roti or paratha.