Moong Dal Dhokla
Authentic dhokla is made with chana dal. As this has become a popular and so likeable dish, there are now various types of dhoklas like besan dhokla, rawa dhokla, dal dhokla, spinach dhokla and others.
This time I have come up with even healthier recipe of Dhokla which is prepared with moong dal. Dal is rich in proteins but it is a difficult task to feed dal to kids. So moong dal dhokla is a great recipe to feed dal to kids and others in the form of everyone’s most favourite snack.
Moong dal is soaked and pureed, steamed and then tempered to give aromatic and great flavours.
Soaking Time – 2 hours (preferred)
Resting Time – Overnight (optional)
Preparation Time – 5 Mins
Cooking Time – 15 Mins
Serving – 4
• Soaked Yellow Moong Dal (Split yellow gram) – ¾ cup
• Gram flour (besan) – 1 Tbsp
• Semolina(Rawa/Sooji) – 1 Tbsp
• Sugar – 1 ½ Tsp
• Salt to taste
• Finely chopped green chili – 1 No.
• Turmeric powder – ½ Tsp
• Ginger garlic paste – ½ Tsp
• Fruit Salt (Eno) 1 ½ Tsp
• Curd – 2 Tbsp (Optional)
• Water as required
• Oil – 1 Tbsp
• Mustard Seeds – ½ Tsp
• White Sesame Seeds – ½ Tsp
• Slit Green chili – 1 No.
• Asafetida (Hing) – pinch
For Garnish (optional)
• Finely chopped coriander – 1 Tbsp
• Grated coconut – 1 Tbsp
For Serving (optional)
• Green chutney
• Boil water in a steamer and grease the steamer plate.
• Take moong dal in a blender and make paste of pouring consistency using little water.
• Transfer the moong dal paste in a bowl.
• Rest the batter for overnight to ferment to get a nice sponge or add curd if you want to make it instantly.
• Add besan, rawa, salt, sugar, finely chopped green chili, ginger garlic paste and turmeric powder. Mix well.
• When the steamer is ready, just before steaming add fruit salt.
• Pour little water over it and give it a gentle mix.
• Pour the batter in the greasing tray.
• Steam in the steamer on a high flame for 10 minutes or till done. Check in between using knife or fork till it comes out clean.
For Tempering –
• Heat oil in a small pan. Add asafetida, mustard seeds, sesame seeds and allow to splutter. Add green chilies.
• Pour tempering over the dhoklas and spread evenly.
• Garnish with coriander.
• Cut into pieces and serve with green chutney.
Tips and Tricks –
• Do not cover with lid while preparing tempering.
• Resting overnight ferments the dal which gives it a nice sponge.
• If you want to make dhoklas instantly add curd.
A good step by step with pics! Well maybe now I can try haina and not fail 🙂
Thanks. 🙂 Definitely, you can make this without fail. Just follow the recipe its super easy.
This is something I have never tried so need to try this, looks yummy
Thanks. Do try and let me know how it came out.
You have made It such a tempting read, im drooling, gonna try this at once
Thanks for your such comment. Do try the recipe.
Wow love dhokla but the moong dal one is all time fav . Thank u for sharing
I am glad you liked it. 🙂 Do try.
Nice recipe dear! Will try it for sure. I never knew dhokla can be made of moong dal
Thanks. 🙂 Yup and moong dal makes it healthy dhokla too.
Looking for good dhokla recipe since long my search ends here
I am glad to know that. Do try and let me know how it came out.
Seems yummy..will try fr sure
Please do let me know how it came out. 🙂