Aloo Chaat Recipe, Crispy Potato Chaat for Fasting
Aloo chaat is mostly loved Navratri recipe at my place. This is a chilled yet hot, sweet yet spicy crispy potato chaat. I love the Navratri season with all the festivities around. The mind is so peaceful with early prayers in the morning and the excitement of eating all the delicious food. My Mom used to prepare both fasting food along with regular food as not everyone fasts at my home. But I always picked the vrat (fasting) food as it not usually prepared and tastes so good.
We all used to demand falahari aloo chaat as we don’t eat onion and garlic during Navratris. The crispy potatoes dunked in chilled sweetened curd with a hint of salt and red chilli powder would make anyone fall in love with it.
Aloo chaat is super easy to make and requires only a few ingredients. This also makes for a good evening snack recipe.
We usually consume a lot of potato during fasting.
Not only during Navratri but this aloo chaat is a super hit and loved recipe at home. My family likes to devour it as a snack or an early dinner on some days. It is relatively healthy but if you are a calorie-conscious you can bake the potatoes till golden crisp and serve it as a healthy snack.
Aloo chaat is also famous street food. There are various versions of it. It is prepared differently in different regions. I have learnt this recipe from my sister and prepare it whenever I crave for street style chaat at home.
Video Recipe –
More fasting/Navratri recipes –
More potato recipes that you may like –
Spicy Aloo (Potato) Sandwich Recipe
Vada Pav Recipe, How to Make Vada Pav at Home
How to Prepare –
Wash, peel and cut potatoes. Soak them in enough water along with salt. Rub potatoes between palms. This will help to release starch content of potatoes which helps to make it crispier.
How to Make Vrat Wali Crispy Aloo Chaat –
Heat ghee in a pan. Strain water from potatoes and cook in ghee till crisp brown. In a serving plate, add crisp aloo, top it with chilled sweetened curd. Sprinkle some salt, red chilli powder and cumin powder (optional).
How to make perfect crispy potatoes –
Heat ghee in a pan. Add potatoes and cook on a low flame till tender. Turn heat to high and cook till potatoes (aloo) are crisp brown. Keep stirring constantly for even cooking and to prevent the burning of potatoes.
Step by Step Aloo Chaat Recipe –
For Fried Aloo –
• Wash and peel potatoes. Soak them in enough water with salt for 10 – 15 mins. Rub potatoes between palms, this will help to release starch content from them.
• Heat ghee in a pan.
• Strain excess water from potatoes and cook on a low flame till tender.
• Turn heat to high and cook till potatoes (aloo) are crispy and golden brown. Keep stirring continuously. Set aside.
• In a bowl take chilled curd. Add sugar and mix well using a fork till smooth.
• Take required crispy potatoes in a serving plate. Top it generously with sweetened curd. Sprinkle some rock salt, red chilli powder, cumin powder (optional).
• Garnish with pomegranate and tulsi or mint leaves.
• Serve chilled.
If you try this recipe please do let me know in the comment section. I would be happy to receive your feedback on my Social Media channels – Instagram, Facebook, Twitter
You can also pin this recipe on Pinterest for later referral.
Please do Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for updates on video recipes.
- Ghee - 2 Tbsp
- Potatoes – 4 No.
- Curd as required
- Sugar to taste
- Rock Salt to taste
- Red chilli Powder
- Roasted Cumin Jeera Powder (Optional)
For Aloo Chaat -
- Wash and peel potatoes. Soak them in enough water with salt for 10 – 15 mins. Rub potatoes between palms, this will help to release starch content from them.
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Strain excess water from potatoes and cook on a low flame till tender.
- Turn heat to high and cook till potatoes (aloo) are crispy and golden brown. Keep stirring continuously. Set aside.
- In a bowl take chilled curd. Add sugar and mix well using a fork till smooth.
- Take required crispy potatoes in a serving plate. Add sweetened curd. Add rock salt, red chilli powder, cumin powder (optional).
- Garnish with pomegranate and tulsi leaves or mint leaves.
- Serve chilled.
Leave a Reply