Veg Biryani Recipe in Pressure Cooker, How to make Vegetable Biryani in 10 mins.
Veg Biryani in Pressure Cooker or Pan with step by step photo and video recipe.
Veg Biryani in Pan or Pressure Cooker is the quickest and easiest way of making biryani. The ingredients remain same, the only difference is in the cooking process.
It makes for a delicious and quick dinner or lunch. On days when I have all the vegetables stocked up in my refrigerator, or I get lazy to be in the kitchen for so long, I cook this recipe.
Once you have cut all the vegetables it takes just 10 mins. to cook the biryani in pressure cooker or pan. This recipe doesn’t require to pre-cook rice or marinate vegetables, which saves a lot of time. The whole spices and biryani masala add to the flavour and aroma.
Other Recipes you may like –
Quick and Easy Version of Kadai Paneer
Palak Paneer Paratha Recipe
I would not say it is exactly the same as Veg Dum Biryani but very close, flavourful and delicious. The slow cooking on dum adds on more flavours for sure. But on days when you don’t have much time in hand or don’t have the energy to cook an elaborative meal this recipe comes in handy.
That’s the beauty of Indian food, it is so forgiving that even if you do not cook the authentic way every time, the spices bring out the flavours beautifully.
It is very different from Veg Pulao recipe in pressure cooker and tastes more like biryani with the addition of curd, birista (fried onions) and spices.
Video Recipe –
Ingredients Required to make Veg Biryani in Pressure Cooker –
Basmati Rice –
A good quality biryani basmati rice is a must for this recipe. There are various types of basmati. I prefer and suggest using tibar or dubar.
You can use more or less any vegetable of your choice. However, my choice of vegetables for biryani are cauliflower/gobhi, potatoes, onion, peas, beans and carrots.
These are easily available in India.
Whole Spices –
Whole spices adds the flavour and aroma to this recipes. I use bay leaf (tej patta), cardamom (elaichi), cumin seeds(jeera), cloves (laung), star anise and cinnamon(dal chini)
Powdered Spices –
A very few powdered spices are required for this recipe. I use turmeric powder (haldi), red chilli powder (lal-mirch powder) and biryani masala.
Oil & ghee
Coriander & Mint –
Fresh herbs adds freshness to any recipe. In this recipe I use lots of coriander leaves (dhania patta) and mint leaves (pudina).
Fried Onions or Birista is a must for this recipe.
What kind of rice can be used for Veg Biryani –
The most important ingredient to make tasty biryani is the good quality of rice. I would highly recommend using good quality biryani basmati rice or Dubar basmati or Tibar.
Mostly I source basmati rice from Punjab but whenever I do not have excess to it, I prefer to get Tibar Basmati Rice locally.
Using good quality basmati rice will make all the difference in this recipe.
Pre-Preparation required for this recipe –
This recipe doesn’t require to pre-cook rice or marinate vegetables.
All you need to do is –
1. Clean and wash vegetables thoroughly. Cut into equal size.
2. Wash the rice thoroughly under running water for 4-5 times until the water comes out clear.
3. Soak rice for 15 mins. in advance.
How to make Veg Biryani at home –
It takes 10 mins. to make Veg Biryani at home in pressure cooker or pan.
Heat oil in a pan, splutter cumin seeds and add all whole spices.
Throw in all the vegetables and stir in powdered spices. Add soaked and strained rice.
Mix in curd and water and allow to boil. Cover and cook for 10 mins. and it’s done.
Top it with ghee, coriander and mint leaves and barista (fried onion).
Things to keep in mind to make perfect Veg Biryani in Pressure Cooker –
1. Use only good quality basmati rice for this recipe.
2. If making in the pan, do not stir the rice a lot else it will break.
3. Use good quality biryani masala. I mostly use homemade but if it’s not available my choice of store-bought masala is from brand Shaan or Everest.
4. After it is well cooked, stir in gently before serving.
5. The ratio of water and rice is a very important and key point in this recipe.
6. Since we are using 1/4th cup of curd so use only 1 1/4th cup of water for 1 cup of rice.
7. 1 Cup of rice will yield 2 cups of biryani.
8. Pre-soaking rice is very important. Soaking will ensure the rice to increase in volume to its full potential, after cooking.
9. The measurement of rice and water is for unsoaked rice.
10. Wash and clean cauliflower properly. I prefer soaking cauliflower in hot water with turmeric and salt for 5-10 mins. before using.
How to serve Veg Biryani –
Veg biryani is a complete meal in itself. It makes for a quick lunch or dinner recipe. Serve it with Mirch ka salan or veg raita or boondi raita to get the best taste.
If you are planning an elaborative meal for guests, serve Tandoori Gobhi & Kathal Kebab for starters, Dhaba Style Paneer Masala, Whole Wheat Tandoori Roti and Salad along with Veg Biryani and Boondi raita to make a complete meal.
Step by Step Veg Biryani Recipe in Pressure Cooker –
1. Heat oil in a pan or pressure cooker. Splutter cumin seeds. Also add bay leaf, star anise, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom.
2. Next, add finely chopped ginger-garlic and cook for a min. on a low flame.
3. Throw in the washed and cut vegetables like onion, potato, carrots, cauliflower and peas. Mix everything well.
4. To flavour up, add the spices like turmeric powder, salt, red chilli powder and biryani masala. Give everything a good mix.
5. Add soaked and drained rice. Mix gently and cook for 2 mins on a low flame.
6. Stir in curd gently. Make sure the rice doesn’t break.
7. Add water as required. Give it a boil. Also, add lime juice and stir gently.
8. Cover and cook for 10 mins on a low flame.
9. If making in the pan, open the lid once in between and stir gently.
10. Meanwhile, prepare birista, in a separate pan heat some oil and fry sliced onions till golden brown.
Cooking in Pressure Cooker –
11. To cook biryani in the pressure cooker, close the lid after adding water.
12. Cook for one whistle on high flame and 1 whistle on low flame. Cook for a total of 10 mins.
13. Open the lid only once steam is released by itself.
14. Open the lid, top biryani with ghee, coriander leaves, mint leaves and birista.
15. Mix gently right before serving.
16. Serve hot with raita or salan.
If you try this recipe please let me know your feedback in the comment section below. Also do share with us the pictures on Social Media Channels – Instagram, Facebook, Twitter
You can also pin this recipe on Pinterest for future referral.
Please do Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for detailed video recipes.
Veg Biryani in Pressure Cooker
- Pressure Cooker or Pan
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 No. Bay Leaf Star Anise - 1 No.
- 1 Inch Cinnamon Cloves and Cardamom
- 1 Tbsp Finely Chopped Ginger-Garlic
- 1 Small Peeled & Diced Potatoes
- 1 Cup Cauliflower (Washed with turmeric & salt water)
- 1 Small Sliced Onion
- 1 Small Carrots
- 1/4th Cup Peas
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Tbsp Biryani Masala
- Salt to taste
- 1 Cup Soaked Rice (unsoaked)
- 1/4th Cup Curd
- 1 1/2 Cup Water
- 1 Tsp Lime Juice
For Birista (Fried Onion)
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Medium Sliced Onion
- Mint/Pudina Leaves
- Coriander leaves
- 1 Tbsp Ghee
- Heat oil in a pan or pressure cooker. Splutter cumin seeds. Also add bay leaf, star anise, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom.
- Next, add finely chopped ginger-garlic and cook for a min. on a low flame.
- Throw in the washed and cut vegetables like onion, potato, carrots, cauliflower and peas. Mix everything well.
- To flavour up, add the spices like turmeric powder, salt, red chilli powder and biryani masala. Give everything a good mix.
- Add soaked and drained rice. Mix gently and cook for 2 mins on a low flame.
- Stir in curd gently. Make sure the rice doesn’t break.
- Add water as required. Give it a boil. Add lime juice.
- Cover and cook for 10 mins on a low flame.
- If making in a pan, open the lid once in between and stir gently.
- Meanwhile, prepare birista, in a separate pan heat some oil and fry sliced onions till golden brown.
Cooking in Pressure Cooker -
- To cook biryani in pressure cooker, close the lid after adding water.
- Cook for one whistle on high flame and 1 whistle on low flame. Cook for a total of 10 mins.
- Open the lid only once steam is released by itself.
- Top biryani with ghee, coriander leaves, mint leaves and birista.
- Mix gently right before serving.
- Serve hot with raita or salan.
• Soaking rice is an important step to cook rice to its full potential.
• Do not stir much, else rice will break.
• Adjust spices as per taste.
Leave a Reply