Buttery Basil Burnt Garlic Rice
I am totally a rice person and this Buttery Basil Burnt Garlic Rice recipe is my absolute favourite of all times for many reasons. It takes hardly any time to cook and makes a great recipe for leftover rice as well.
It tastes amazing with only a few ingredients in hand. The flavour of burnt garlic takes this recipe to another level. Whenever I am in no mood to cook specially during the scorching heat of summers, I prepare Burnt Garlic Rice and serve it with raita or gravy of choice. It gets ready in a jiffy with no efforts and everyone likes it.
When I have guests come over, I keep this rice in the menu along with other elaborative spread. This saves me some time in hand which I can utilize in making other varieties. You can also pack this in you kids tiffin/lunchbox.
This also makes for a quick dinner. Pair it with soup, salad and gravy to make a fancy meal.
Video Recipe –
How I discovered this Buttery Basil Burnt Garlic Rice (A little story behind the dish) –
I and my husband were in Europe for his work assignment and we stayed in an apartment with the kitchen so that we can cook our own food. I carried a few basic Indian spices along with me as we knew we won’t easily find it there. Clarified butter (ghee) is not common there so we bought butter and other fresh herbs and veggies.
With limited resources in hand I threw in random ingredients which were easy to cook and I knew would go well together and this dish was born. We both loved it so much that we started making it on a regular basis even after coming back to India.
How to Prepare for Basil Burnt Garlic Rice –
All you need is to boil the rice and keep it ready. Finely chop some garlic and onion and keep ready other required spices. This recipe can also be prepared using leftover boiled rice.
How to make Buttery Basil Burnt Garlic Rice –
Heat oil and butter in a pan, add lots of garlic, cumin seeds and bay leaf. Cook for a min. Add finely chopped onion and sauté for 2 mins. Add few basil leaves, boiled rice, salt and pepper. Mix well, cook for 2 mins and serve hot.
Other Rice Recipes you may like –
Lemon Rice Recipe
Veg Pulao Recipe
Matar Pulao with Spinach
Things to keep in mind while making this recipe –
1. Make sure the rice is perfectly cooked with each grain separate. Mushy rice won’t yield the desired taste.
2. Add garlic when oil is still lukewarm to infuse the flavour better.
3. Add oil along with butter to prevent it (butter) from burning.
4. You can also add red chilli flakes or green chilli to add the heat if you prefer.
How to serve Basil Burnt Garlic Rice –
The rice is delicious and complete in itself for an early dinner, with the butter, garlic and basil flavours.
In case you are serving it to some guests, add soup, Kidney Bean Salad Recipe and Veg Hot Garlic Gravy on the side to make a complete meal.
Tomato Rasam also makes for a great side dish to go along with this recipe.
Step by Step Recipe of Basil Burnt Garlic Rice Recipe
1. In a pan heat oil and butter together. Adding oil prevents the butter from burning.
2. To it, add finely chopped garlic, cumin seeds and bay leaf.
3. Mix well and cook for a min on low flame.
4. Also, add finely chopped onion.
5. Mix well and cook for 2 mins. on a low flame.
6. Add basil leaves and mix well.
7. Finally, add boiled rice, salt and pepper. Mix well.
8. Cook for a min on low flame.
9. Switch off the flame, finish with lime juice. (optional but suggested)
10. Serve hot with soup, salad and curry.
If you try this recipe please do let me know in the comment section. I would be happy to receive your feedback on my Social Media channels – Instagram, Facebook, Twitter
You can also pin this on Pinterest recipe for later referral.
Please do Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for updates on video recipes.
Burnt Garlic Rice with Basil
- 1 Tsp Oil
- 1 Tsp Butter
- 2 Tbsp Finely Chopped Garlic
- Cumin Seeds and Bay Leaf
- 2 Tbsp Finely Chopped Onion
- 8 - 10 Nos. Basil leaves
- 1.5 Cups Boiled Rice
- Salt & Pepper
- Lime Juice Optional
- In a pan heat oil and butter together. Adding oil prevents the butter from burning.
- To it, add finely chopped garlic, cumin seeds and bay leaf.
- Mix well and cook for a min on low flame.
- Also, add finely chopped onion.
- Mix well and cook for 2 mins. on a low flame.
- Add basil leaves and mix well.
- Finally, add boiled rice, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Cook for a min on low flame.
- Switch off the flame, finish with lime juice. (optional but suggested)
- Serve hot with soup, salad and curry.
Leave a Reply