Matar Paneer Masala
Matar paneer masala with step by step photo and video recipe.
Matar paneer is the most ordered vegetarian dish at restaurants after butter paneer masala.
The rich and creamy texture with the melt in mouth paneer and sweetness of peas is unbeatable. Matar Paneer makes for a great side dish with paratha, puri or roti.
The melt in mouth paneer cubes is dunked into rich and creamy onion-tomato based gravy along with peas. The paneer adds the richness and peas adds the sweetness to the creamy and tangy gravy making it a perfect dish to go with laccha paratha.
My Mom is a great cook and out of all, she makes Matar Paneer Masala the best. Whoever has tried her matar paneer goes gaga over it.
I have learnt this recipe from my Mom and her one secret ingredient is a game-changer. This recipe of Mutter paneer is rich, creamy with the perfect texture and taste of the gravy.
No Punjabi wedding is complete without matar paneer ki sabji in the menu of some or the other function.
More Paneer Recipes –
Video Recipe –
How to Prepare for Matar Paneer Masala –
How to make paneer soft and fresh –
Cut the paneer into cubes and dip into lukewarm water for some time. This will make paneer super soft and fresh. Strain excess water just before using. (You can use the same water in the gravy).
If using fresh peas, peel and boil them. Strain excess water. In case if you are using frozen peas, thaw them at the room temperature.
Whenever I use frozen peas, I take out the required quantity, in a bowl and cover them with water at room temperature. This helps to get the peas at room temperature quickly. Strain excess water when done.
Finely chop ginger and garlic, or make a paste in mortar-pestle. Make onion puree and tomato puree.
Keep ready the other ingredients and required spices as suggested. Make sure everything is at room temperature.
How to make Matar Paneer Masala at home –
To make matar paneer ki sabji at home, heat oil in a pan.
Add ginger-garlic paste and cook for a min. Next, add whole spices and mix. To it add the onion puree and cook till golden brown. This is a crucial step; uncooked onions will not yield good taste.
Next, add tomato puree and cook till it starts to separate oil from the sides. Shift the gravy at the side of the pan. Add ghee and spices, mix well.
Now cook the gravy till it turns grainy in texture. It should not stick to the spatula. That’s the sign of a well-cooked gravy.
If gravy is not well cooked it tastes tangier and overpowers the taste of any other spices.
Add mawa once the gravy is done. Mawa gives the rich and creamy taste and adds restaurant-style texture to the sabji. This is the secret ingredient that my Mom adds and it makes all the difference to the gravy.
Finally, add boiled peas and mix well. Right at the end, add paneer. Mix gently and do not cook much else paneer will turn chewy and leathery.
Things to keep in mind to make Matar Paneer Masala at home –
1. It is necessary to cook the gravy perfectly, else it will taste tangy and undercooked.
2. Cook the gravy on a low flame and keep stirring in between. It will take a good time to cook, do not leave it unattended else there are chances it might burn.
3. Prefer not to cook the onion-tomato masala in aluminium or iron vessel. Both the metals react with the tomato. Aluminium makes it unhealthy and iron changes the taste and colour of the gravy.
4. I usually make it in non-stick or steel utensil.
5. Adjust spices as per taste.
6. I use hybrid tomatoes for this recipe as they are not much sour.
7. If you are using desi tomatoes or heirloom tomatoes, reduce the quantity and add a bit or malai/cream or sugar to balance the acidity.
8. Keep the flame on low while adding the spices.
9. Kashmiri red chilli powder adds a nice colour to the gravy.
10. Do not overcook after adding paneer else paneer will turn chewy and leathery.
11. Stir gently after adding paneer, else the paneer cubes might break.
How make it Vegan –
If you are vegan and do not eat paneer, here’s is an easy way to make it as per your dietary requirements.
To make this recipe vegan, substitute paneer with tofu. Skip adding ghee, instead add oil.
Although the mawa is the main ingredient in this recipe, gram flour works fine too. Substitute mawa with equal quantity of roasted gram flour to make it creamier.
Step by Step Recipe of Matar Paneer Masala at home –
1. Heat oil in a pan or kadai.
2. To it, add finely chopped ginger-garlic.
3. Add cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and bay leaf. Mix well and cook for a min.
4. Next, add the onion puree and cook on a medium flame till it turns golden brown.
5. Add tomato puree. Cover and cook on a low flame for 8 – 10 mins. Stir in between.
6. Uncover and cook until starts to separate oil from the sides. This will take some time. Keep stirring in between and make sure it doesn’t burn.
7. Slide the gravy at the side of the pan. Lower the flame, add ghee to it. To flavour add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, kashmiri red chilli powder, kasuri methi, salt and garam masala powder.
8. Mix well. Cook till you get the right texture of the gravy. It should turn grainy and should not stick to the back of the spatula.
9. Now, add the mawa and mix well.
10. Add required water to get the right consistency. Allow boiling.
11. Next, add boiled peas and mix well.
12. Cover and cook on a low flame for 2-3 mins. so that all the flavours are well combined.
13. Finally, add paneer and mix gently.
14. Garnish with coriander leaves to add the freshness. Mix well.
15. Serve hot with roti or paratha.
How to serve Matar Paneer Masala –
Matar Paneer Curry makes for a great occasional or festive menu.
We make it often on festivals like Holi or Diwali. Matar Paneer Masala is always a huge hit in get-togethers or home parties.
Serve it with Beetroot Cutlet, Jeera Rice, Boondi Raita, Dal Tadka, Tandoori Roti and salad to make a complete meal for guests.
If you try this recipe please let me know your feedback in the comment section below. Also do share with us the pictures on Social Media Channels – Instagram, Facebook, Twitter
You can also pin this recipe on Pinterest for future referral.
Please do Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for detailed video recipes.
Matar Paneer Masala
- Kadai or Pan
- Mixer Grinder
- 3 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Finely chopped ginger garlic
- 4 Nos. Cloves
- 2 Nos. Cardamom
- 1 Inch Cinnamon
- 1 No. Bay leaf
- 3/4th Cup Onion Puree
- 1 1/4th Cup Tomato Puree
- 1 Tbsp Ghee
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 Tsp Kasuri Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves)
- 1 Tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala Powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 2 Tbsp Mawa (Or Fresh Cream)
- Water as required
- 1/2 Cup Boiled or frozen peas
- 200 gms Paneer
- Garnish with coriander
- Heat oil in a pan or kadai.
- To it, add finely chopped ginger-garlic.
- Add cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and bay leaf. Mix well and cook for a min.
- Next, add the onion puree and cook on a medium flame till it turns golden brown.
- Add tomato puree. Cover and cook on a low flame for 8 – 10 mins. Stir in between.
- Uncover and cook until starts to separate oil from the sides. This will take some time. Keep stirring in between and make sure it doesn’t burn.
- Slide the gravy at the side of the pan. Lower the flame, add ghee to it. To flavour add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, kashmiri red chilli powder, kasuri methi, salt and garam masala powder.
- Mix well. Cook till you get the right texture of the gravy. It should turn grainy and should not stick to the back of the spatula.
- Now, add the mawa and mix well.
- Add required water to get the right consistency. Allow boiling.
- Next, add boiled peas and mix well.
- Cover and cook on a low flame for 2-3 mins. so that all the flavours are well combined.
- Finally, add paneer and mix gently.
- Garnish with coriander leaves to add the freshness. Mix well.
- Serve hot with roti or paratha.
Masala Paneer Matar https://skidson.online/ Masala Matar Paneer