Red Kidney Bean (Rajma) is one of our family favourite among pulses. It is full of nutrition and contains vitamins, minerals as well as a good source of protein. Being vegetarians, we rely highly on pulses for our protein intake. Kidney Bean Salad makes a healthy dish which can be consumed before lunch meal or as a mid-day snack. I usually replace unhealthy snacks with such dishes which are full of health benefits.
When we talk of Rajma all we can think of is delicious Punjabi Rajma Masala but there are different other ways in which we can consume these pulses. Addition of protein in any salad enhances its taste and nutritional value. By adding rajma (kidney bean) to the salad it can also be served as a wholesome meal to someone who is dieting. This salad makes a perfect meal for a weight loss diet plan.
We make sure to include different salads in our meals everyday s that we don’t get bored of eating the same dish.
Video Recipe –
This kidney bean salad is also gluten-free and vegan.
The mix and match of vegetables along with right herbs and the addition of any protein makes a good salad. The key to making delicious salads is the use of fresh herbs, leaves and vegetables.
How to prepare for Red Kidney Bean Salad –
Boil overnight soaked red kidney beans with a little salt, drain excess water and let it cool. Dice the vegetables required for the recipe and that is it 😊 It’s that simple.
How to make Salad –
All it needs a good mix of vegetables, herbs, lime juice with extra virgin olive oil along with high protein kidney bean to make this super simple salad.
Serving Suggestion –
It is ideal to serve salads immediately once they are prepared. This salad can be served as a mid-morning snack at around 11:00 AM before lunch which helps in weight loss. You can also serve as a tea-time snack (without tea of course :-D), to avoid unhealthy munching.
If not serving immediately it is advised to prepare the dressing (oil, lime juice, garlic, mixed herbs, red chilli flakes, salt and pepper) separately and add it to the salad just before serving.
Things to keep in mind while making Kidney Bean Salad –
1. Make sure the rajma (kidney bean) is perfectly cooked. It should have a bite and shouldn’t be mushy.
2. Use freshly cut vegetables for freshness.
3. Adjust lime juice and sugar as per taste.
4. You can also boil rajma beforehand and prepare the salad right before serving.
Step by Step instructions to make Red Kidney Bean Salad –
1. Boil overnight soaked kidney bean (rajma) with some salt and let it cool.
2. Do not over boil the beans.
3. Dice onion, capsicum and cucumber.
4. In a mixing bowl add kidney beans, onion, capsicum, cucumber, finely chopped garlic, mixed herbs, red chilli flakes, salt, pepper, lime juice and extra virgin olive oil.
5. Mix well and serve.
Nutritional Value –
1. Kidney beans are a great source of protein, mineral and vitamins.
2. It is low in cholesterol and is good for diabetics.
3. The good amount of fibre content in kidney beans helps in weight loss.
4. The amount of calcium in kidney beans helps in making bones stronger.
You can also pin this on Pinterest recipe for later referral.
Please do Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for updates on video recipes.
Kidney Bean Salad
- 1.5 Cups Boiled Kidney Bean (Rajma)
- 1/4th Cup Diced Onion
- 1/4th Cup Diced Capsicum
- 1/4th Cup Diced Cucumber
- 1 Tsp Finely Chopped Garlic
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli Flakes
- 1 Tsp Mixed Herbs
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Tsp Lime Juice
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4th Tsp Brown Sugar
- Boil overnight soaked kidney bean (rajma) with some salt and let it cool.
- Do not over boil the beans.
- Dice onion, capsicum and cucumber.
- In a mixing bowl add kidney beans, onion, capsicum, cucumber, finely chopped garlic, mixed herbs, red chilli flakes, salt, pepper, lime juice and extra virgin olive oil.
- Mix well and serve.