Coconut Chutney is a must-have with idli, dosa and uttapam. We love South Indian food and make sure to have it once a week.
Coconut chutney is creamy, tangy and makes the cuisine taste even better. My husband makes amazing coconut chutney and I prefer him making it every time we have South Indian cuisine at home.
Few people also add roasted chana dal to the chutney but we prefer without it. The original taste of coconut is creamier and delicious. We add fresh curd instead of tamarind for the added creaminess and balanced sourness to the chutney.
It remains well for a week in an airtight container in a refrigerator.
How to prepare for Coconut Chutney –
Break coconut, wash and cut into small pieces. Wash and finely chop coriander leaves. Cut green chilli. Keep ready curd and salt.
How to make Coconut Chutney –
In a blender add chopped coconut, salt, coriander leaves and green chilli. Blend using some water. Add curd as required and blend till smooth.
Ingredients required to prepare Coconut Chutney at home –
This chutney can be prepared using simple ingredients available at home.
Things to keep in mind to make perfect smooth chutney–
1. Do not blend too much else it will split.
2. Add green chilli as per taste.
3. Add water as required. Keeping in the fridge for a long time makes it thicker.
How to serve Coconut Chutney –
Coconut chutney is served along with South Indian cuisines like idli, dosa and uttapam. However, I also serve it with handvo, rava dhokla and cheela (pancakes).
You may also like –
How to use leftover chutney –
Sometimes it happens that we run out of dosa batter but still have some chutney left. I use it in curries like gobhi to make Gobhi roast, potato curries and it gives the sabzi an interesting twist making it creamier and yummy.
Please do Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for detailed video recipes.
Step by Step Coconut Chutney Recipe –
For Chutney –
1. In a blender jar add coconut pieces, coriander leaves, green chilli and salt.
2. Add water as required. Blend it smooth.
3. Add curd and give a pulse to blend well.
1. Heat oil in a pan.
2. Add mustard seeds and allow to splutter.
3. Add curry leaves and whole red chilli.
Add the tempering to the chutney and mix well.
- Coconut cut into small pieces - 1/2 Cup
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves - 1/4th Cup
- Green Chilli - 1 Tsp
- Curd - 1/4th Cup
- Water as required
For Tempering -
- Oil - 1 Tsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1 Tsp
- Whole Red Chilli
- Curry Leaves
- In a blender jar add coconut pieces, coriander leaves, green chilli and salt.
- Add water as required. Blend it smooth.
- Add curd and give a pulse to blend well.
- Heat oil in pan.
- Add mustard seeds and allow to splutter.
- Add curry leaves and whole red chilli.
- Add tempering to the chutney and mix well.
- Transfer chutney to an air tight container and let it chill.