Falafel is a Middle Eastern recipe prepared using soaked chickpea or chole. It is traditionally served with Hummus and also with pita bread as a falafel wrap.
I tried falafel wrap for the first time on my trip to Sweden and I still haven’t forgotten that delicious taste. It was a small cart run by a Pakistani couple who were settled in Sweden for a long time. I told them how much I loved it and they were generous enough to share with me their recipe. Right after I came back to India I tried making falafels the first thing in my kitchen. I was reminded of the exact same taste that I had.
Video Recipe –
Ever since I prepare falafels at home and pair it with rich and creamy hummus. At times I also make falafel wraps using pita bread, hummus, sliced onions and few other sauces. We call it Vegetarian Shawarma at home 😊
It makes for a great healthy snack for a party or otherwise. We also enjoy it as a quick dinner at times.
No house parties or special occasions are complete without some servings of falafels. Everybody who has tried it has loved it at our place. So today I am sharing with you all the recipe of foolproof falafels.
How to prepare for Falafel –
Soak chickpea (chole) overnight. Keep rest of the ingredients ready. For this recipe, a good quality mixer/blender is a must. Blending chole without water gives a perfect texture to the falafels.
How to make Falafel –
In a blender jar, blend together chickpea, onions, garlic, cumin powder, salt, coriander leaves, green chilli, coriander powder, baking soda, black pepper powder and lime juice. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Add breadcrumbs and mix well. Make equal sized balls or any shape of choice. Refrigerate for 20- 30 mins. Deep fry in a medium-hot oil on a low flame till golden crisp.
Baked/Healthy Version –
If you are a calorie-conscious and do not want to deep fry falafels you can bake them at 180°C till golden brown and crisp.
In case you do not have an oven at home, you can also make them in appe pan.
You may also like –
Things to keep in mind to make perfect Falafel–
1. While blending, make sure not to add water. In case it doesn’t blend well, add a bit of olive oil instead.
2. Add garlic as per taste. I like the flavour of garlic so I add more.
3. Deep fry in a medium-hot oil on a low flame to ensure perfect cooking from inside.
4. Refrigerate for some time so that the falafels retain its shape while frying.
5. Add breadcrumbs as required but not too much that it overpowers the taste.
Step by Step instructions to prepare Falafel at Home –
1. Soak chole/chickpea overnight in enough water.
2. Drain excess water and wash again thoroughly.
3. In a blender jar add chickpea, onion, garlic, green chilli, coriander leaves, cumin powder, salt, coriander powder, baking soda, black pepper powder and lime juice.
4. Transfer the mixture in a mixing bowl.
5. Add breadcrumbs if required.
6. Mix everything well.
7. Divide into equal portions and give them a round or any shape of choice.
8. Refrigerate for 20 – 25 mins.
9. Deep fry in a medium-hot oil on a low flame until golden brown.
10. Serve hot with hummus or dip of choice.
Please do Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for detailed video recipes.
- Soaked Overnight Chole/Chickpeas - 1 Cup
- 1 No. Roughly Chopped Onion
- 1/4th Cup Coriander leaves
- 3 - 4 Cloves Peeled Garlic
- 2 No. Chopped Green Chilli
- 1 Tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/4th Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4th Tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1 Tsp Lime Juice
- 2 Tbsp Breadcrumbs Optional
- Oil for frying
- Soak chole/chickpea overnight in enough water.
- Drain excess water and wash again thoroughly.
- In a blender jar add chickpea, onion, garlic, green chilli, coriander leaves, cumin powder, salt, coriander powder, baking soda, black pepper powder and lime juice.
- Transfer the mixture in a mixing bowl.
- Add breadcrumbs if required.
- Mix everything well.
- Divide into equal portions and give them a round or any shape of choice.
- Refrigerate for 20 – 25 mins.
- Deep fry in a medium-hot oil on a low flame until golden brown.
- Serve hot with hummus or dip of choice.