Hummus is a rich and creamy dip prepared using boiled chickpeas flavoured with a bit of garlic, olive oil and tahini. It is nutty and tangy due to the addition of tahini and lemon juice. It is super quick and easy to make it. Hummus goes well with starters, pickled vegetables, Falafel wraps and much more.
Hummus is a Middle Eastern Mediterranean recipe which is most commonly used in a mezze platter. Due to its creamy texture, it can also make for a delicious spread.
It is very nutritious and full of protein. Its smooth fluffy yet light texture is like a dream. I can simply finger lick a bowl of hummus without pairing it with anything.
What kind of chickpeas can be used –
I use freshly boiled chickpea or garbanzo beans for this recipe. However, you can also use canned chickpea for making this recipe.
How to make Tahini –
In a blender blend roasted sesame seeds. Add olive oil to make and blend together to make a smooth paste. Next, add salt to taste and mix well. Transfer to a jar and preserve in the refrigerator.
How to prepare for Hummus –
Wash and soak chickpea overnight. Boil and let it cool. Peel garlic and make tahini. Keep ready other ingredients ready.
How to make smooth and creamy Hummus –
It is a super quick and simple dip to prepare. Blend together boiled chickpea, tahini, garlic cloves, salt to taste, cumin powder and olive oil. Blend well till smooth.
However, if you are looking for creamy hummus peel the boiled chickpea before blending.
Video Recipe –
Things to keep in mind to make perfect smooth hummus–
1. Add good quality tahini for better taste.
2. Good quality olive oil is very essential for this recipe.
3. Blend hummus till smooth. Give 7-8 pulse or till smooth. This is the most important step to be followed.
4. Use garlic and lime juice as per taste.
5. Over boil the chickpea a little for a smoother consistency. Also, peel the chickpeas for a creamy texture.
6. Use little water if required to get a perfectly smooth consistency.
Other Dips and Chutney Recipes –
How to serve Hummus –
1. Falafels – This makes for an amazing dip to go along with falafel. It makes falafels tastes even better.
2. Wraps – Use hummus in pita bread wraps or any wraps to add a nice smooth texture.
3. Toast – Hummus makes for a great spread for toasted bread. My favourite is sourdough bread topped with a generous helping of hummus, jalapenos, olives and pickled vegetables.
4. Pickled Vegetables – Hummus makes an excellent dip to along with pickled vegetables.
5. Mezze Platter – Mezze platter is incomplete without some portion of smooth and creamy hummus.
You may also like –
Step by Step instructions for hummus –
1. Wash and soak chickpea overnight.
2. Boil till soft. Let it cool.
3. Peel chickpea for a creamy consistency.
4. In a blender blend together chickpea, tahini, salt, garlic clove, roasted cumin powder, lime juice and olive oil.
5. Pulse 7-8 times or until smooth and fluffy.
6. Add little water if required.
7. Transfer to a glass jar and preserve for up to 10 days.
Please do Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for detailed video recipes.
- 1 Cup Boiled Chickpea
- 2 -3 Nos. Garlic Cloves
- 1 Tbsp Tahini
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 Tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
- 1 Tsp Lime Juice
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Wash and soak chickpea overnight.
- Boil till soft. Let it cool.
- Peel chickpea for a creamy consistency.
- In a blender blend together chickpea, tahini, salt, garlic clove, roasted cumin powder, lime juice and olive oil.
- Pulse 7-8 times or until smooth and fluffy.
- Add little water if required.
- Transfer to a glass jar and preserve for up to 10 days.