Whole Wheat Tandoori Roti on Tawa
Whole Wheat Tandoori Roti Recipe with step-by-step photo and video recipe.
Tandoori roti is the most ordered Indian breads. Whenever we feel indulgent, I make Restaurant style tandoori roti at home with some delicious paneer gravy.
We all are too excited for such meals during the weekends. Especially during the covid when we all could not step out and enjoy the restaurant food, I made sure to feed my family the most delicious restaurant style Indian food at home while taking care of the health.
This recipe of tandoori roti at home is super healthy and can be prepared easily. The best part is, this is a whole wheat tandoori roti on tawa. You really do not need any oven or tandoor to enjoy Tandoori roti at home.
I will be sharing all the tips and tricks to make perfect tandoori roti at home without oven.
The Indian curries best taste with hot and fresh tandoori rotis.
The technique of cooking on tandoor has adopted from Mughals. Though it is now widely used in Punjab. There are so many dishes that are cooked on tandoor. Nothing can beat the tandoori delicacies and tandoori roti is one of them.
As the name suggests, traditionally, the tandoori rotis are prepared in tandoor oven called ‘bhatti’. Since it’s not possible to have tandoor in every household, we make tandoori rotis at home on stove top.
This recipe of Whole Wheat Tandoori Roti is –
1. Easy to make
3. No oven, No Tandoor Recipe
5. Is prepared on tawa
More Indian Bread Recipes –
Whole Wheat Kulcha
Video Recipe –
Some delicious gravies to serve along –
Matar Paneer Masala
Methi Matar Malai Recipe
Dhaba Style Paneer Masala
Bharwa Dum Aloo
How to prepare for Whole Wheat Tandoori Roti Recipe –
In a mixing bowl, add whole wheat tandoori roti, salt and curd. Mix everything well.
Adding water in small quantity knead a soft dough. Add ghee and knead till soft. Cover and let it rest.
How to make Tandoori Roti at Home –
After the dough is well rested, knead again till soft. Roll out the rotis, apply water on one side.
Place the water side on tawa, cook for a min., invert the tawa and cook on both sides till done.
Things to keep in mind while making Whole Wheat Tandoori Roti at Home –
1. Make sure to knead the dough soft and smooth.
2. Let the dough rest minimum for 20 mins.
3. Roll out the rotis slightly thicker than the tawa rotis.
4. Before placing the roti over tawa, make sure it’s really hot.
5. Use iron tawa or anodized tawa for this recipe. Heavy bottom iron tawa gives best results.
6. Keep the temperature of tawa in check.
7. Dust the dry flour while rolling only as much required, do not use too much.
Step by step recipe of Tandoori Roti at home –
Kneading dough –
1. In a mixing bowl, add whole wheat flour, salt and curd. Give it a nice mix.
2. Adding water in small quantity knead a soft dough.
3. Apply ghee and knead well till dough is soft. (for about 5 mins.)
4. Cover and let it rest.
Rolling Tandoori Roti –
5. When the dough is well rested, knead the dough again till soft and smooth.
6. Divide the dough into equal size portion.
7. Taking one dough ball at a time, dust the dry flour and roll into desired thickness.
8. Do not roll too thin, else it will turn hard.
Cooking Tandoori Rotis on Tawa –
9. Apply water on one side of the roti.
10. Keep the water side on the hot tawa.
11. Cook on a medium flame for a min. or till the upper side dries.
12. Invert the tawa and cook till both sides are well done.
13. Serve hot.
How to serve Tandoori Roti –
Tandoori roti tastes best with rich Indian curries like matar paneer, butter paneer masala, Dal Makhani or any gravy of your choice.
Pair it with Boondi Raita , jeera rice , salad to make a complete meal.
If you try this recipe please do let me know in the comment section. I would be happy to receive your feedback on my Social Media channels – Instagram, Facebook, Twitter
You can also pin this recipe on <strong>Pinterest for later referral.
Please do Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for updates on video recipes.
Whole Wheat Tandoori Roti
- 2 Cups Wheat Wheat Flour
- Salt to taste
- 1/4th Cup Curd
- Water as required
- 1 Tbsp Ghee
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
Kneading dough –
- In a mixing bowl, add whole wheat flour, salt and curd. Give it a nice mix.
- Adding water in small quantity knead a soft dough.
- Apply ghee and knead well till dough is soft. (for about 5 mins.)
- Cover and let it rest.
Rolling Tandoori Roti–
- When the dough is well rested, knead the dough again till soft and smooth.
- Divide the dough into equal size portion.
- Taking one dough ball at a time, dust the dry flour and roll into desired thickness.
- Do not roll too thin, else it will turn hard.
Cooking Tandoori Rotis on Tawa –
- Apply water on one side of the roti.
- Keep the water side on the hot tawa.
- Cook on a medium flame for a min. or till the upper side dries.
- Invert the tawa and cook till both sides are well done.
- Serve hot.
64066 623210Hey, you used to write wonderful, but the last few posts have been kinda boringK I miss your great writings. Past few posts are just a bit out of track! come on! 659484
881091 774514Some times its a discomfort within the ass to read what men and women wrote but this internet website is quite user friendly ! . 856070