Mushroom Matar Recipe with step-by-step photo and video recipe.
This is one of my favorite Mushroom recipes. The juicy mushrooms along with the sweetness of peas in spicy, tangy and creamy onion tomato gravy makes it so delicious.
Since not everyone is fond of mushrooms at home so I don’t make this often, but when I do, I eat an extra roti that day. For people who do not eat mushrooms at home, I replace mushrooms with paneer for them.
This Indian curry goes well with lachha paratha, tandoori roti, tawa roti or naan. I even like to pair it with some steamed rice and onion salad.
For me, this is essentially a winter recipe when we get fresh green peas. It makes this curry even better. Although, the frozen peas do the job equally good, but I like to use fresh produce as much as possible. Mushroom these days are available round the year so its very easy to make Mushroom Peas Curry in all seasons.
More Sabzi Recipes from my kitchen –
This Recipe of Matar Mushroom Masala is –
1. Prepared in Onion-Tomato based gravy
2. Vegan and gluten-free
3. An easy Indian Curry recipe
4. Made with easy pantry staples
5. Restaurant Style
6. Spicy and Tangy
Video Recipe –
How to prepare for Matar Mushroom Recipe –
Clean mushrooms well. Use them while they are still fresh. Thaw the peas if using frozen and peel if using fresh.
Make onion and tomato puree separately. Also make a coarse paste of coriander, chilli, ginger and garlic.
Roast the besan. Keep the spices and other ingredients ready.
How to clean mushrooms?
Transfer the mushrooms in a bowl, sprinkle whole wheat flour or salt generously. Taking one mushroom at a time, scrub all over nicely to remove the dirt. Wash under running water.
If required peel the skin and trim the edge. Mushrooms are now ready to use.
How to make Mushroom Matar Recipe at Home –
Heat oil, add whole spices, next add ginger, garlic, coriander and chilli paste. Cook and then add finely chopped onion. Cook till golden brown.
Add powdered spices to flavour. Mix everything well. Now add tomato puree and let it cook till oil starts to separate.
Now add roasted besan and cream, garam masala powder and give it a nice mix.
Add in mushrooms and peas, also add water. Mix well and let it cook.
Finish with coriander leaves.
Things to keep in mind while making Mutter Kumbh Recipe –
1. Make sure to clean mushrooms well.
2. Do not soak mushrooms in water.
3. If using fresh peas, boil them before adding.
4. The gravy should be well cooked, it should start leaving oil from the sides and turn darker red in colour.
5. Roasted besan gives a nice binding to the gravy and adds a creamy texture.
6. Make fresh ginger, garlic, coriander and chilli paste in mortar pestle for best taste.
7. Cook the onions on a low flame till golden brown. The slow caramelizing brings out the taste better.
Step by Step Recipe of Matar Mushroom –
1. Heat oil in a pan (I use my clay pot), to it add whole spices.
2. Next, add ginger, garlic, coriander and chilli paste.
3. Cook for a min. and then add onion puree.
4. Let it cook on a low flame till it turns golden brown. Keep stirring in between to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
5. Now add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, salt, kashmiri red chilli powder and kasuri methi.
6. Give everything a nice mix.
7. Next add tomato puree and mix well.
8. Cover and cook for 6-8 mins. on a medium flame. Keep stirring in between.
9. Uncover and cook till it starts to leave oil from the sides.
10. Now add roasted besan, malai (or fresh cream) and garam masala powder.
11. Give it a nice mix.
12. To the gravy, add peas and mushrooms. Mix well.
13. Add water as per required consistency. Give it a nice mix.
14. Cover and cook on a low flame for 4-5 min. Stir in between.
15. Finish with coriander leaves.
16. Serve hot with roti, naan or paratha.
How to serve Matar Mushroom Masala –
This recipe of Matar Mushroom Masala goes well with roti, paratha or rice.
To make a complete meal for guests, add mushroom ghee roast and hara bhara kebab for the starters. For the main course pair it with tandoori roti, salad, jeera rice and raita.
You can also pin this on Pinterest recipe for later referral.
Please do Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for updates on video recipes.
Mushroom Matar Recipe
- 4 Tbsp Oil
- Whole Spices (Bay Leaf, Cloves, Cardamom, Cinnamon)
- 2 Tbsp Ginger, Garlic, Coriander & Green Chilli (Coarsely Grounded)
- 1/2 Cup Onion Puree
- 1/4th Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 2 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Kasuri Methi
- Salt to taste
- 1 Cup Tomato Puree
- 2 Tbsp Roasted Besan
- 2 Tbsp Malai (Fresh Cream)
- 1/4th Tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 Cup Boiled or Frozen Peas
- 200 gms Mushroom
- Coriander leaves (for garnish)
- Heat oil in a pan (I use my clay pot), to it add whole spices.
- Next, add ginger, garlic, coriander and chilli paste.
- Cook for a min. and then add onion puree.
- Let it cook on a low flame till it turns golden brown. Keep stirring in between to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Now add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, salt, kashmiri red chilli powder and kasuri methi.
- Give everything a nice mix.
- Next add tomato puree and mix well.
- Cover and cook for 6-8 mins. on a medium flame. Keep stirring in between.
- Uncover and cook till it starts to leave oil from the sides.
- Now add roasted besan, malai (or fresh cream) and garam masala powder.
- Give it a nice mix.
- To the gravy, add peas and mushrooms. Mix well.
- Add water as per required consistency. Give it a nice mix.
- Cover and cook on a low flame for 4-5 min. Stir in between.
- Finish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with roti, naan or paratha.