Kadai Paneer with step-by-step photo and video recipe.
Kadai Paneer is a beautiful medley of cottage cheese (paneer), capsicum, onion, tomato and freshly grounded spice in an onion-tomato gravy.
It is one of the most loved recipes in India. You will find it in most of the restaurant’s menu and Indian weddings.
This recipe of Kadai Paneer is a bit time consuming but totally worth the effort and time. The freshly grounded spices make it so delicious and aromatic.
Kadai Paneer makes for a great main course for party or get-togethers.
It is a great source of protein for vegetarians and the mix of vegetables makes it more nutritious and flavorful.
Most of the restaurants make it with onion and capsicum, I also like to add diced tomatoes for the added tanginess. You can also add red and yellow bell peppers of you like.
This Recipe of Kadai Paneer is –
1. Restaurant Style Indian Curry
3. Prepared with easy ingredients at home
4. Uses freshly grounded masala which makes it aromatic and flavorful
5. Healthy & Tasty
More Paneer Recipes from my kitchen –
Video Recipe –
How to prepare for Kadai Paneer Recipe –
Make onion puree and tomato puree. Dice onions, tomatoes and capsicum. Make sure to deseed tomatoes and capsicum.
Keep all the whole spices ready for kadai paneer masala.
Soak paneer cubes in warm water for 10-15 mins. before adding it to the gravy.
How to make Kadai paneer Masala Powder at home –
The whole spices are dry roasted and hand grounded to a coarse powder.
I use –
Whole Red Chilli
You can increase the amount of whole red chilli if you like it spicy.
The key is to dry roast on a low flame in a heavy bottom kadai, till they become aromatic.
Transfer the roasted spices to a plate and let it cool. Hand ground in a mortar pestle to a coarse powder.
How to make Kadai Paneer Masala at home?
Heat oil in a kadai. Add onion puree and cook for 2-3 mins. Next add ginger garlic paste and mix well. Cook till onion turns golden brown. Now add in ghee and all the spices, give it a nice mix.
Now add tomato puree. Cook till it is nicely done. Add diced onion, tomato and capsicum. Add water as required. Cover and cook till done. Finally add paneer and give it a mix.
Finish it with kasuri methi and coriander leaves. Mix well and serve hot.
Things to keep in mind while making Kadhai Paneer –
1. Soak paneer cubes in warm water for 10-15 mins before adding to the gravy. It makes paneer softer and gives it an amazing melt in mouth texture.
2. Cook the gravy well else it will taste sour and raw. It should start leaving oil from sides and turn darker in colour.
3. If making in mustard oil, make sure to smoke it else it will give raw flavour.
4. Do not overcook diced onion, tomato and capsicum. Let it be a bit crunchy, it will add the nice texture.
5. After adding paneer do not cook for more than 3-4 mins. else paneer will turn chewy and leathery.
6. Keep stirring gravy at a regular interval to make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
7. Dry roast spices on a low flame till fragrant.
Step by Step Recipe of Kadai Paneer Recipe –
Homemade Kadai Paneer Masala –
1. In a kadai add cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cinnamon, cloves, black pepper and cardamom.
2. Dry roast on a low flame till fragrant.
3. Next add bay leaf and whole red chillies.
4. Roast for 2 mins. Switch off the flame, transfer the spices to a mortar pestle.
5. Coarsely grind the spices and set aside.
Making Masala –
6. Heat oil in kadai. Add in onion puree, cook for 2-3 mins.
7. Now add ginger garlic paste add give it a mix.
8. Cook till onions are nicely done and turn golden brown.
9. Add ghee and spices – turmeric powder, red chilli powder, kashmiri red chilli powder, freshly made kadai paneer masala and salt.
10. Give everything a nice mix.
11. Next add tomato puree and give everything a nice mix.
12. Cover and cook for 10 mins. on a low flame. Keep stirring in between.
13. Uncover and cook till oil starts leaving from sides and gravy turns darker in colour.
14. Now add diced onion, capsicum and tomatoes. Give it a mix.
15. Add in some water, cover and cook for 3-4 mins. on a low flame.
16. Add paneer and mix gently. Cook for 2-3 mins.
17. Finish it off with kasuri methi and coriander leaves. Mix well.
18. Cover and cook for 2-3 mins.
19. Serve hot with roti, paratha or naan.
How to serve Kadai Paneer –
Kadai Paneer is very rich and flavorful Indian gravy recipe. It goes well with roti, paratha or naan alongside some sirke wale pyaz. It is a complete meal in itself and makes for a great weekend lunch/ dinner.
However, if you are serving for guests, make a complete meal with masala pulao, boondi raita, dal tadka, roasted pumpkin and chickpea salad, Corn Pakoda, lacha paratha.
If you try this recipe, please do let me know in the comment section. I would be happy to receive your feedback on my Social Media channels – Instagram, Facebook, Twitter
You can also pin this recipe on Pinterest for later referral.
Please do Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for updates on video recipes.
- 2 Tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 Inch Cinnamon
- 4 No. Cloves
- 4-5 Nos. Black Pepper
- 2 Nos. Cardamom
- 1 No. Bay Leaf
- 2 Nos. Whole Red Chilli
- 4 Tbsp Oil
- 1/2 Cup Onion - Puree
- 1 Tbsp Ghee
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1/4th Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- Salt to taste
- 3/4th Cup Tomato Puree
- 1 Tsp Kasuri Methi
- 1 No. Diced Onion
- 1 No. Diced Capsicum
- 1 No. Deseeded Diced Tomato
- Water as required
- 250 gms. Paneer
- Coriander leaves
Kadai Paneer Masala –
- In a kadai add cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cinnamon, cloves, black pepper and cardamom.
- Dry roast on a low flame till fragrant.
- Next add bay leaf and whole red chillies.
- Cook for 2 mins. Switch off the flame, transfer the spices to a mortar pestle.
- Coarsely grind the spices and set aside.
Making Masala –
- Heat oil in kadai. Add in onion puree, cook for 2-3 mins.
- Now add ginger garlic paste add give it a mix.
- Cook till onions are nicely done and turn golden brown.
- Add ghee and spices – turmeric powder, red chilli powder, kashmiri red chilli pwoder, freshly made kadai paneer masala and salt.
- Give everything a nice mix.
- Next add tomato puree and give everything a nice mix.
- Cover and cook for 10 mins. on a low flame. Keep stirring in between.
- Uncover and cook till oil starts leaving from sides and gravy turns darker in colour.
- Now add diced onion, capsicum and tomatoes. Give it a mix.
- Add in some water, cover and cook for 3-4 mins. on a low flame.
- Next add paneer and mix gently. Cook for 2-3 mins.
- Finish it off with kasuri methi and coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Cover and cook for 2-3 mins.
- Serve hot with roti, paratha or naan.
Leave a Reply