Bajra Dalia Khichdi
Bajra Dalia Khichdi with step by step photo and video recipe.
I like my dinner meals either to be really fancy or as simple as dalia or khichdi. I am not so fond of eating roti sabzi for my dinner. Most of the time it is simple and easy meals, that I prefer having for dinner.
Dalia/Khichdi are light on stomach and hence easy to digest and healthy. I love such easy to cook, one pot meals which makes for a delicious dinner.
Bajra is a millet which can be used in various ways. Pearl millet flour is used to make roti, dosa, idli or even pancakes.
It is easily available in Indian grocery stores.
I mix this dalia with some portion of dal to make delicious vegetable khichdi.
You can use any vegetables in this recipe, add a dollop of ghee on top and enjoy with pickle of your choice.
You can also make this recipe in Instant Pot.
This recipe of Bajra Dalia Khichdi is –
1. Easy to make
2. Healthy & Tasty
3. Gluten Free
4. Can be made vegan
5. One-pot recipe
Video Recipe –
More One-Pot dinner recipes –
Veg Biryani Recipe in Pressure Cooker
Pre-Preparation required for Dalia Khichdi –
Wash and soak bajra dalia. Cut vegetables of choice and keep the spices ready.
This is an easy to make one-pot recipe.
How to make Pearl Millet Khichdi –
Heat ghee or oil in a pressure cooker. Add and cook vegetables of choice. Next add spices as suggested. Finally add soaked bajra dalia and dal along with water. Cook for 2 whistles and its done.
Open the cooker only when steam is released by itself. Serve hot.
Things to keep in mind while making Bajra Dalia Khichdi –
1. Soaking bajra dalia and dal in advance, helps in faster and better cooking.
2. Do not overcook, else it will turn mushy.
3. Finish it with lime juice for the added flavour.
Step by Step Bajra Dalia Khichdi Recipe –
1. Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Splutter cumin seeds, add curry leaves and green chilli.
2. Add onion, peas and tomatoes. Give it a good mix.
3. To flavour it, add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt.
4. Mix everything well.
5. Add soaked and strained bajra dalia and dal.
6. Next add water. Cover and cook for two whistles. One on a high flame and one on a low flame.
7. Open the pressure cooker only when steam is released by itself.
8. Finish with lime juice. Mix well.
9. Serve hot with pickle and papad.
How to serve Bajra Dalia Khichdi –
Bajra Dalia Khichdi is a complete meal in itself. Add a dollop pf ghee while it is still hot, serve it along with pickle, raita and papad.
I enjoy this recipe with lime pickle the most.
If you try this recipe please do let me know in the comment section. I would be happy to receive your feedback on my Social Media channels – Instagram, Facebook, Twitter
You can also pin this recipe on Pinterest for later referral.
Please do Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for updates on video recipes.
- 1 Tbsp Ghee
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 No. Green Chilli
- 6-7 Nos. Curry Leaves
- 1/2 Cup Onion
- 1/4th Cup Peas
- 1/2 Cup Tomatoes
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- Salt to taste
- 1.5 Cups Bajra Dalia + Moong Dal (Soaked)
- 4.5 Cups Water
- 1 Tsp Lime Juice
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Splutter cumin seeds, add curry leaves and green chilli.
- Add onion, peas and tomatoes. Give it a good mix.
- To flavour it, add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt.
- Mix everything well.
- Add soaked and strained bajra dalia and dal.
- Next add water. Cover and cook for two whistles. One on a high flame and one on a low flame.
- Open the pressure cooker only when steam is released by itself.
- Finish with lime juice. Mix well.
- Serve hot with pickle and papad.
Leave a Reply