Bihari Aloo Bhujia Recipe with step-by-step photo and video recipe.
Bihari Aloo Bhujia is a staple dish from Bihar. It is mostly prepared in all households as daily meals.
People often confuse it with fried aloo bhujia, which available in the market in the packaged form. But this is a sabji version of aloo bhujia which is served fresh with roti, dal chawal.
Simple meals become comforting with the addition of such dishes in the meal. I love simple Indian food which is not only delicious but also healthy and nutritious.
Aloo or potato is everyone’s favorite and there so many dishes in starters, snacks or mains that are prepared using it.
Making a main course cant get any simpler and easier than this one.
This regional dish of Bihar is easy to make and requires very basic ingredients from our daily Indian kitchen.
This is in not an authentic recipe which is prepared with onion and garlic. I have customized this recipe a bit and made it No Onion No Garlic recipe.
Bihari Aloo Bhujia is prepared with thinly sliced finger potatoes with turmeric, salt and tempered in mustard oil with cumin seeds.
I have added a few more spices in this recipe, but you can totally skip it to get the authentic flavours.
Bihari Aloo Bhujia is a rustic recipe which every Bihari would love to eat and take pride in the simplicity of it.
Video Recipe –
This Bihari Aloo Bhujia Recipe is –
1. Easy & Quick to make
2. Vegan & Gluten free
3. Simple stir fry
4. A great side dish with dal chawal and roti
5. Crispy and uses minimum ingredients
6. No Onion No Garlic Recipe
More sabzi recipes from my kitchen –
How to prepare for Bihari Aloo Bhujia –
Aloo bhujia needs only a few ingredients and not much preparation.
Thinly slice potato into fingers and soak them in salted water before using.
Keep the spices ready.
How to make Bihari Aloo Bhujia ki Sabzi at Home–
Strain excess water from potatoes.
Heat oil and splutter cumin seeds.
Add aloo, cover and cook till soften. Cook uncovered on ahigh flame till crispy (optional). Finally add in the spices, mix well and there you go, they are to be enjoyed.
Authenctic Bihari Aloo Bhujia Recipe –
To make the Bihari Aloo Bhujia the traditionally, add in garlic and sliced onion before potatoes.
Do not make other spices other than turmeric powder and salt. Skip fresh coriander as well.
The idea is to give the dish the rustic flavours with simplicity. If you can cook it a traditional cookware like a clay pot, its even better.
Things to keep in mind while making Bihari Aloo Bhujia –
1. Soaking potatoes in water will help releasing the starch, which will help in making potatoes crispier.
2. It will also help potatoes from turning black (oxidization).
3. Makes sure to smoke mustard oil before using.
4. You can skip the additional spices and stick to turmeric powder and salt.
5. Once the potatoes are half done, uncover and cook uncovered to make them crispy. Do not stir a lot.
Step by Step Bihari Aloo Bhujia Recipe –
1. Wash, peel and cut potatoes into thin slices.
2. Soak them in salted water for some time.
3. Rub in between fingers and wash thoroughly 2-3 times, this will help releasing the water content.
4. Smoke mustard oil in a pan. Let it cool a bit.
5. Splutter cumin seeds.
6. Add in the sliced potatoes, mix well.
7. Cover and cook on a low flame till soften.
8. Uncover and cook on a high flame till crispy, do not stir a lot.
9. Next add salt, red chilli powder, coriander powder, amchur powder and turmeric powder.
10. Mix everything well.
11. Cook on a low flame without stirring much to make them crispier (optional).
12. Serve hot with roti or paratha.
How to serve Aloo Bhujia –
I have never known a vegetable more versatile than potatoes and sabji more versatile than Bihari aloo ki bhujia.
You can serve it as s side dish along with whole Indian meal. To make a simple meal have it with the plain roti or even Punjabi dal kaddu, chawal, Kacha Aam aur pyaz ki chutney for dinner.
We don’t mind it having it as snack even. Its so good you can have it in any way you like.
You can also pin this recipe on Pinterest for later referral.
Please do Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for updates on video recipes.
Bihari Aloo Bhujia Sabji
- 6 Nos. Potatoes (Aloo) (Cut into thin slices and soaked in salted water)
- 6 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp Amchur Powder
- 2 Tbsp Coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Wash, peel and cut potatoes into thin slices.
- Soak them in salted water for some time.
- Rub in between fingers and wash thoroughly 2-3 times, this will help releasing the water content.
- Smoke mustard oil in a pan. Let it cool a bit.
- Splutter cumin seeds.
- Add in the sliced potatoes, mix well.
- Cover and cook on a low flame till soften.
- Uncover and cook on a high flame till crispy, do not stir a lot.
- Next add salt, red chilli powder, coriander powder, amchur powder and turmeric powder.
- Mix everything well.
- Cook on a low flame without stirring much to make them crispier (optional).
- Serve hot with roti or paratha.