Muthia is a gujarati snack which is made with dudhi, methi and other vegetables with besan. Good, healthy and quick snack option to hog onto.
Whenever I travel to my hometown I prefer eating all the traditional dishes which we miss eating otherwise. I hardly get to cook when I visit my parents. The cook which helps my mom in daily chores prepares good traditional dishes. Such dishes are so flavorful but recipes for those are getting lost.There are lots of good Indian recipes which have become so rare these days. One such dish in Muthia which I like a lot and hence sharing recipe with you all today.
Lauki/Dudhi/Bottle gourd is an underestimated vegetable. But there are few dishes which turn out to be delicious with dudhi.
With fresh vegetables available in winters, muthia becomes a healthy snacking option for tea time. You can also add other vegetables of your choice. Usually it is made with besan but I also add whole wheat flour to add on its health factor.
Bottle gourd (Lauki/Dudhi) grated – 1/2 Cup
Carrots grated – 1/4 Cup
Fenugreek (methi) leaves chopped – 1/2 Cup
Besan – 3 Tbsp
Whole wheat flour – 1 Cup
Red chili powder – 1 Tsp
Coriander powder – 1 Tsp
Turmeric powder – 1 Tsp
Salt to taste
Crushed jeera – 1/2 Tsp
Oil – 2 Tbsp
For Tempering –
Oil – 1 Tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 Tsp
Green chili slit – 2 No.
Curry leaves – handful
Sesame seeds – 1 Tsp
Fennel Seeds – 1/2 tsp
1. In a mixing bowl add 1/2 cup of grated lauki, 1/4 cup of carrots, 1/2 cup of chopped methi leaves.
2. Add 3 Tbsp of besan, 1 cup of whole wheat flour. Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, salt, sugar(optional),oil and crushed jeera.
3. Mix everything well squeezing vegetables for them to release their water content.
4. Form a soft dough. Add more besan if required.
5. Make small logs from dough and steam them in a steamer or microwave.
6. If you are steaming in microwave, do it in batches for 3 minutes on high power, keeping muthia logs in a microwave safe carry bag and knot it tight. (As shown in video)
7. Cut steamed logs into small pieces .
8. Heat oil in a kadai for tempering.
9. Add mustard seeds, green chili, curry leaves, semase seeds, fennel seeds. Mix well.
10. Add muthia pieces and mix well on a low flame.
11. Switch off the flame. Add lime juice. Mix well.. Serve hot
Tips and Tricks-
1. Adding whole wheat flour and oil to the dough helps in making muthia soft.
2. You can also add any other flour or oats to increase the health factor.
3. Do not over steam as it will turn leathery.
4. You can also shallow fry them to make them crispier.
5. Do not add water while kneading dough, let vegetables release water.
#DineDelicious #VegRecipe #Healthy
Leave a Reply