Mexican Rice Recipe with step-by-step photo and video recipe.
This recipe of Mexican rice is more of a Tex Mex cuisine than the authentic one. You gotta tweak the recipe as per your taste buds and ingredients available, isn’t it?
Everyone at home loves this version of Tex Mex Rice. The burst of flavours makes it so unique and good.
The best part is, that it is a one-pot recipe, so you don’t have to cook veggies and rice separately. Just keep adding the ingredients at a regular interval and it will result into this delicious meal.
Mexican rice is healthy as it contains protein in the form of rajma, lots of veggies like bell peppers, onion, tomato, corn, carrots and you can add any vegetable of your choice. The sweetness of corn, spiciness of red chilli flakes and to balance it out the tanginess of ketchup makes this recipe a perfect for Indian tastebuds.
This recipe of Mexican Rice is –
2. Easy and quick to make
3. One-Pot Recipe
4. Makes for a great weekday dinner
5. Tex-Mex cuisine
6. Healthy & tasty
7. Loaded with lots of vegetables and flavours
Other Rice Recipes you may like –
Pre-Preparation required for Mexican Rice –
For any rice preparation, always soak rice well in advance.
Boil rajma and corn, separately. Finely chop garlic and onion. Also chop capsicum, tomato and coriander leaves.
I like to use freshly made homemade tomato puree. If you like to ease the work, you can also use canned tomato puree. I use a bit of store-bought tomato puree for the added flavour, though it is totally optional.
Keep the suggested spices and other ingredients ready.
How to make Tex Mex Mexican Rice at home –
Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped garlic and onion, cook till translucent. To it add red chilli flakes, oregano, roasted cumin powder, kashmiri red chilli powder (optional), salt, ketchup and jalapenos. Give everything a nice mix.
Next add tomato purees and mix well. Add soaked and drained rice and stir in gently.
Now add water, give it a boil. Cover and cook till half done. Add tomatoes, capsicum, boiled rajma and corn. Mix everything well.
Cover and cook till done. Finish it off with some coriander or parsley leaves.
Things to keep in mind while making Mexican Rice –
1. Make sure to soak rice beforehand. This will yield long grain rice. You can use any rice of your choice.
2. 1 cup of raw rice will yield 2 cups of cooked rice.
3. Blanch tomato and peel them before making puree, if using homemade tomato puree.
4. You can also use store bought puree in instead of homemade one.
5. Adding store bought puree not only eases work, but also adds an amazing taste.
6. Homemade tomato puree ensures freshness and is preservative free.
7. Add any vegetables of your choice. Make sure to add the vegetables first which takes more time to cook.
8. Do not stir a lot else it will break the rice.
9. Adjust spices as per taste. I add ketchup though the recipe doesn’t call for it. It’s totally optional.
Step by Step Mexican Rice Recipe –
Soak Rice –
1. In a large bowl add rice and wash it thoroughly 4-5 times or until clear water comes out.
2. Let it soak in enough water for about 10-30 mins.
Make Rice –
3. Heat oil in a kadai or pan. To it add finely chopped garlic and onion.
4. Cook till it turns translucent.
5. Flavour it with red chilli flakes, oregano, roasted cumin powder, kashmiri red chilli powder (optional), salt, jalapenos and ketchup.
6. Mix everything well.
7. Add homemade and store-bought tomato puree.
8. Mix everything well.
9. Now add soaked and strained rice. Stir in gently.
10. Add water and mix well. Let it boil.
11. Cover and cook till it is half done.
12. Next add capsicum, tomatoes, boiled corn and beans.
13. Cover and cook till done.
14. Finish off with coriander leaves and lime juice.
15. Serve hot.
How to serve Tex Mex Rice –
Tex Mex rice makes for a great weekday dinner.
You can also pin this recipe Pinterest for later referral.
Please do Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for updates on video recipes.
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Garlic
- 1/4th Cup Finely Chopped Onion
- 1 Tbsp Red Chilli Flakes
- 1 Tbsp Oregano
- 1 Tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
- 1 Tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- 2 Tbsp Jalapeno
- 1/2 Cup Homemade Blanched Tomato Puree
- 2 Tbsp Store bought Tomato Puree (Optional)
- 1 Cup Soaked Basmati Rice
- 2 Cups Water
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 Cup Boiled Red Kidney Beans
- 1/4th Cup Boiled Corn
- 1/4th Cup Chopped Tomato
- 1/4th Cup Capsicum
- Lime Juice
- Fresh Coriander leaves
Soak Rice –
- In a large bowl add rice and wash it thoroughly 4-5 times or until clear water comes out.
- Let it soak in enough water for about 10-30 mins.
Make Rice –
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan. To it add finely chopped garlic and onion.
- Cook till it turns translucent.
- Flavour it with red chilli flakes, oregano, roasted cumin powder, kashmiri red chilli powder (optional), salt, jalapenos and ketchup.
- Mix everything well.
- Add homemade and store-bought tomato puree.
- Mix everything well.
- Now add soaked and strained rice. Stir in gently.
- Add water and mix well. Let it boil.
- Cover and cook till it is half done.
- Next add capsicum, tomatoes, boiled corn and beans.
- Cover and cook till done.
- Finish off with coriander leaves and lime juice.
- Serve hot.