Pasta Salad with step by step instructions and video recipe.
I love to try new cuisines and dishes. I never miss an opportunity to try new things when I visit restaurants. Long back while dining with few of my friends I spotted pasta salad on the menu and it caught my eye.
Since I have had the only hot form of pasta and never heard of this before, I gave it a try and loved it. This creamy chilled pasta was a huge hit on the table.
Though I love cooking, creating and replicating recipes at home, somehow, I felt, making pasta salad would involve some complex ingredients and steps to make it. Hence, I never thought of giving it a try.
A few years back on my vacation I had it again in one of Mumbai’s lounge. It tasted so good and brought back memories. I remembered the taste and ingredients and thought of giving it a try at home.
Upon trying 2-3 times I was able to replicate the exact taste. Although the recipe had a lot of mayonnaise, I thought of replacing it with a healthier ingredient and finally came up with this recipe.
It is creamier, quick and delicious to make. It makes for a wonderful party snack and is a huge hit whenever I make it.
When I have guests coming over, I try to include this pasta salad as it can be prepared quickly and can be kept ready in the refrigerator, before the guests arrive.
It also makes for a quick weekday dinner and a yummy and healthy snack for your kid’s lunchbox.
It is a very flexible recipe that allows you to use leftover boiled pasta and any vegetables available in your refrigerator.
How to prepare for Pasta Salad –
Boil pasta of your choice. I like macaroni pasta for this recipe.
Cut the suggested vegetables. Keep the mayonnaise, yoghurt, spices and herbs ready.
How to make Pasta Salad –
To prepare the dressing, mix well all the ingredients required.
In a mixing bowl add boiled pasta, pour the dressing and give it a nice mix.
How to boil pasta perfectly –
Boil 8 times of water in a pan. Add salt. Add pasta and let it boil. Depending on the type of pasta you are using time will vary.
Check on the back of the packet for the exact time. Stir once/twice in between.
Strain excess water when it is cooked al dente (cooked well but still have a bite). Do not let it turn mushy. Pour cold water immediately to stop further cooking.
Which pasta to use for this recipe –
Any small-sized pasta like macaroni, fusilli, bow tie pasta, conchiglie or any of your choice. I prefer using macaroni (elbow) pasta for this recipe.
Serving Suggestion –
Although the salads are to be served immediately but you can prepare this salad beforehand and keep it ready in the refrigerator. Make sure to keep it in an airtight container.
Pasta salad is supposed to be served chilled.
If planning to serve later or packing in the lunchbox, do not add onions. You can add onions just before serving.
You may also like –
Step by step instructions to prepare Pasta Salad –
Boiling Pasta –
1. In a pan add water, once it starts boiling, add salt and stir in.
2. Add pasta of your choice and cook it for the time mentioned on the back of the packet.
3. Make sure to keep it al dente and not overcook it.
4. Strain excess water and pour cold water immediately.
5. Coat lightly with oil if required.
6. Allow pasta to cool before making a salad.
1. In a mixing bowl, add yoghurt, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, red chilli flakes, lime juice and mixed herbs.
2. Mix everything well and set aside.
1. In a large mixing bowl add boiled pasta, finely chopped vegetables and dressing.
2. Mix everything well and serve chilled.
Please do Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for detailed video recipes.
- Curd - 2 Tbsp
- Mayonnaise - 1 Tbsp
- Virgin Olive Oil - 1 Tsp
- Lime Juice - 1 Tsp
- Red Chilli Flakes - 1 Tsp
- Mixed Herbs - 2 Tsp
- Salt & Pepper
- Boiled Macaroni Pasta - 1 Cup
- Finely Chopped Onion - 2 Tbsp
- Bell Pepper - 2 Tbsp
- Capsicum - 2 Tbsp
- Carrot - 2 Tbsp
- In a pan add water, once it starts boiling, add salt and stir in.
- Add pasta of your choice and cook it for the time mentioned on the back of the packet.
- Make sure to keep it al dente and not overcook it.
- Strain excess water and pour cold water immediately.
- Coat lightly with oil if required.
- Allow pasta to cool before making the salad.
- In a mixing bowl, add yoghurt, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, red chilli flakes, lime juice and mixed herbs.
- Mix everything well and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add boiled pasta, finely chopped vegetables and dressing.
- Mix everything well and serve chilled.