One of the most awaited winter special dishes is peas paratha. With fresh green peas available in market no one can resist themselves to get them home and prepare peas paratha out of it. The delicious crisp cover made of wheat and soft flavourful stuffing of peas leaves everyone drooling. Even when you are so stuffed you cannot resist yourself of having this peas paratha topped with white butter.
This is usually served with curd (Homemade curd recipe), pickle and butter. Stuffed parathas are must have breakfasts in Punjab. This dish has become popular with its taste and versatility. Any of the stuffing can be prepared and used for making stuffed parathas. With winters on and fresh peas this is the most eaten dish for breakfast lunch or dinner.
Preparation Time – 10 – 15 Mins
Cooking Time – 25 – 30 Mins
Serves – 2 – 3
More Peas Recipes – (Matar Paneer Masala Recipe), (Lauki-Matar ka paratha), (Peas Masala Recipe), (Matar wala Baingan Bharta)
• Whole wheat flour – 1 Cup
• Salt to taste
• Oil – 1 Tsp
• Water for kneading
• Ghee or oil as required (For frying)
For Stuffing –
• Green chili finely chopped – 1 -2
• Chat Masala –1/2 Tsp (optional)
• Fennel Seeds – ½ Tsp
• Cumin Seeds – ½ Tsp
• Turmeric Powder – ½ Tsp
• Besan (Gram Flour) – 1 Tbsp
• Peas – 1 Cup
• Salt to taste
• Oil – 1 Tbsp
You May Also Like –
Lauki Matar ka paratha – Lauki – Matar paratha
Lauki (Bottle Gourd) Paratha – Lauki (Bottle Gourd) Paratha
Aloo Paratha – Aloo Paratha
Follow step by step instructions to prepare peas paratha.
• In a sauce pan add water with peas and allow to boil for 5- 10 mins.
• Check in between when pea is easily mashed between fingers it is then its done.
• Drain excess water from peas using strainer. Keep them aside and allow to cool.
• Take wheat flour in a bowl. Add salt and oil.
• Mix well together.
• Taking water in small quantity start kneading the dough.
• Knead soft dough adding water in between as required.
• Apply oil and rest the dough for 20 mins covering with wet kitchen napkin.
Preparing Stuffing –
• For stuffing, mash peas coarsely.
• Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan or kadai . Add cumin seeds, fennel seeds, turmeric powder and finely chopped green chilies. Mix and cook for ½ a min, make sure spices do not burn.
• Add mashed peas.
• Mix and cook on medium flame. Add besan (gram flour) and salt.
• Mix well and allow to cook for 5 – 7 mins. Stir occassionally so that stuffing does not stick to the bottom.
• Switch off the flame. Stuffing is ready. Transfer it to a bowl and allow to cool.
Filling Stuffing to Parathas –
• Knead the dough again to make it soft and smmoth.
• Divide the dough into equal balls. The size of the balls should be large enough to contain the stuffing.
• Take one ball at a time and dust it in a dry (wheat) flour so that it does not stick while rolling.
• Roll the ball into small circle using rolling pin.
• Apply some ghee over the dough circle.
• Place stuffing on the dough circle. Take few tablespoons of stuffing quantity as per the size of the dough circle so that the stuffing is neither too much nor too less.
• Gather the edges of dough by bringing the dough together.
• Pinch the edges into the center to seal properly.
• Remove extra dough to form a perfect ball.
• Dust the dough ball again to dry flour.
• Roll the paratha into 6-7 inches diameter using dusting flour.
• Heat tawa on a medium flame. Place paratha over hot tawa and cook for about half a minute on one side.
• Flip paratha and cook on other side.
• When both the sides are slightly brown, apply ghee on both the sides one by one and cook till crisp and lightly browned.
• Make parathas in a similar way using remaining dough balls and stuffing.
• Serve hot parathas with curd, butter and pickle.
Tips and Tricks –
• You can also use oil instead of ghee for frying parathas.
• Keep in check the temperature of tawa and regulate it from medium to low flame as required. It should neither be too hot to burn the parathas or too cold.
• Adjust spices as per taste. You can also add red chili powder if you like it spicy.
• Add finely chopped coriander leaves for freshness in stuffing.