Vermicelli or Bambino has one of my favourite childhood memories. During school days whenever I didn’t felt like eating roti sabzi or feel low my Mom always made me either Desi Style Macaroni Pasta or Bambino to cheer me up. Such a colourful plate of delicious food would bring a smile on my face.
Such quick and easy recipes were one of the reasons I loved cooking since I was a kid. I always loved to experiment in the kitchen with whatever was available in the vicinity of my hands could reach on.
My mom used to prepare a very basic version for us to feed as a kid. Now, whenever I prepare it, it makes me feel nostalgic, I follow a different recipe though. It is quick, simple and easy to make. It is comparatively healthy and tastes delicious.
There are various versions of this recipe. Vermicelli upma is particularly prepared and enjoyed in South India for breakfast. Though it is prepared entirely differently and has mild flavours that this recipe. It is a healthy breakfast recipe which can be prepared in a jiffy.
Whenever you are running out of breakfast ideas, pick vermicelli and adapt any quick version it to fix a quick meal.
Vermicelli makes for a great breakfast recipe as well. You can enjoy it for any meal or even midday snacks as well.
Keep ready the boiled bambino and prepare it right before sudden hunger pangs strike during any time of the day.
Other recipes you may like –
Video Recipe –
What kind of Vermicelli to buy –
I usually buy wheat semolina roasted vermicelli. It saves my time roasting it. Also, the difference in cost is very minimal. Although you can buy the raw and dry roast till it turns golden brown before using it.
How to Prepare –
Boil vermicelli, strain and run under cold water once done. Coat with oil and set aside. While it is boiling, cut all the required vegetables.
If cutting potato beforehand, soak it in water so it doesn’t oxidase.
How to Make Vermicelli/Bambino –
Heat oil, add vegetables and cook well. Flavour it with sauces and spices as suggested. Mix well. Finally, add roasted boiled bambino/vermicelli. Mix well and enjoy hot.
Things to remember while making vermicelli –
1. Make sure the vermicelli is not over-boiled.
2. Using roasted bambino makes sure it doesn’t turn sticky.
3. If you do not have roasted bambino available at hand, roast it on a low flame till golden brown, keep stirring in between.
4. Do not overcook vegetables. Make sure to retain crunch in them.
5. Boiling vermicelli separately ensures perfect cooking.
Step by Step Vermicelli Recipe –
To Boil –
• Boil enough water in a container. Season it with salt and little oil. To boiling water, add bambino/vermicelli. Cook till done on high heat. It cooks faster. Do not overcook else it will get mushy.
• Strain excess water. Pour cold water over it. Coat some oil and keep it aside.
Other Steps –
• Heat oil in a pan. Add green chilli, potato, onion and peas. Mix well and cook for 3-4 mins.
• To it add turmeric powder and salt. Mix well and cook on a low flame for a min.
• Next, add tomato and capsicum. Mix well.
• Cover and cook on a low flame for 2 mins.
• Flavour it with red chilli powder, maggi magic masala, ketchup and vinegar or lime juice.
• Mix everything well.
• Finally, add boiled vermicelli/bambino.
• Mix well and cook for 2-3 mins on a low flame.
• Serve hot.
You can also pin this recipe on Pinterest for later referral.
Please do Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for updates on video recipes.
- Oil - 2 Tbsp
- Chopped Green Chilli - 1 No.
- Diced Potato - 1 Medium Size
- Diced Onion - 1 Medium Size
- Peas - 1/4th Cup
- Turmeric Powder - 1 Tsp
- Salt to taste
- Diced Tomatoes - 1 Medium Size
- Diced Capsicum - 1 Medium Size
- Red Chilli Powder - 1 Tsp
- Maggi Magic Masala - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato Ketchup - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar or Lime Juice Preferred - 1 Tsp
- Roasted Boiled Vermicelli/Bambino - 2 Cups
To Boil Vermicelli/bambino -
- Boil enough water in a container. Add salt and little oil. Add bambino/vermicelli. Cook till done on a high heat. It cooks faster. Do not over cook else it will get mushy.
- Strain excess water. Pour cold water over it. Coat some oil and keep it aside.
For Vermicelli/Bambino –
- Heat oil in a pan. Add green chilli, potato, onion and peas. Mix well and cook for 2-3 mins.
- Add turmeric powder and salt. Mix well and cook on a low flame for a min.
- Add tomato and capsicum. Mix well.
- Cover and cook on a low flame for 2 mins.
- Add red chilli powder, maggi magic masala, ketchup and vinegar or lime juice.
- Mix well. Add boiled vermicelli/bambino.
- Mix well and cook for 2-3 mins on a low flame.
- Serve hot.