Instant Mango Pickle is the easiest of all pickles. It doesn’t require much cooking or waiting to consume.
This recipe requires only a few ingredients that are easily available at home. You will always find a variety of pickles in Indian households. Indian food or meals are incomplete without some portion of achar.
Mango achar is the most common pickle that we find in every Indian home. Everyone has a different way of making it. There are many recipes with almost the same ingredients with the addition or subtraction of a few other ingredients.
This is my favourite pickle out of all.
Pickling is a process of increasing the life of any vegetable. It is a good way of preserving food. It is usually done by adding any acidic medium or vinegar to increase the shelf life.
Pickling develops good bacteria called probiotics which helps in digestion. This recipe uses salt and oil which helps in preserving it for a longer time. The fenugreek seeds and mustard seeds also act as natural preservatives.
Pickle or commonly known as achaar in Hindi which enhances the taste of any meal. It goes well with paratha or dal rice. It is better known as heeng wala aam ka achar at my place.
I have grown up eating mango pickle with ajwain or plain paratha for breakfast. It is my most favourite breakfasts of all and I have many sweet memories attached to it.
Even though I love cooking I used to get overwhelmed by the thought of making pickles at home until I started making my own. I never knew making pickles at home could be so easy.
I love eating fresh pickles especially this aam ka achar. once when my Mom visited us, I requested her to make pickle for us. It was then I learnt how easy this art of making pickle is.
There are a few things that we need to keep in mind so that it doesn’t catch fungus.
I will share all the tips and tricks for the same.
Video Recipe –
How to prepare for Instant Mango Pickle –
Wash, dry and cut raw mangoes. Keep all the spices ready as suggested.
How to make Instant Mango Pickle at home–
To begin, make sure the mangoes are completely dry and do not have any moisture or water content.
Dry roast fennel seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds separately, till aromatic and crunchy. Keep them aside and allow to cool.
Grind together all the roasted spices, coarsely.
Heat mustard oil till smoking point. Let it cool down a bit. Add asafoetida.
In a mixing bowl add cut mangoes, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt, dry roasted and grounded spice mix, store-bought pickle masala. Pour oil over mangoes and mix well.
It is ready to eat.
Things to keep in mind to make Instant Mango Pickle –
1. Wash and dry the mangoes properly. Make sure there is no moisture or water content.
2. While transferring the pickle into the jar, make sure the jar is properly dried. Else there are chances of pickle to get fungus due to moisture.
3. Dry roast the spices to get good flavour.
4. Add salt and oil in adequate quantity if you want to preserve for a longer time (upto 3-4 months). The oil should be above 1.5 inches covering the mangoes properly.
5. Taste the sourness of the mangoes and adjust the red chilli powder and salt accordingly.
6. Store-bought pickle masala is totally optional. Though it elevates the colour and taste a bit.
7. Make sure to smoke the oil and let it cool down a bit before adding.
8. Use good quality of asafetida for better taste. The taste of hing or asafetida is primary in this recipe. Do not skip it.
9. You can also add Kashmiri red chilli powder to enhance the taste.
10. Store in an airtight container in a dry and cool place. I prefer to store in a refrigerator.
Step by Step Recipe of Instant Raw Mango Pickle –
1. In a pan dry roast fenugreek seeds till crunchy and aromatic. Transfer to a blender jar.
2. Next, dry roast fennel seeds till aromatic and slightly brown. Transfer to the blender along with fenugreek seeds.
3. Also, dry roast mustard seeds and transfer to a blender jar.
4. Let all the spices cool down and grind them coarsely. Set aside.
5. Meanwhile, heat mustard oil till smoking point. Switch off the flame and let it cool a bit.
6. Add asafetida (hing) and mix well.
7. In a mixing bowl add washed, dried and cut raw mangoes.
8. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt, store-bought pickle masala, grounded dry roasted spices.
9. Finally, add oil (mixed with hing).
10. Mix everything well together.
11. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate. It will stay fresh for a longer time (15 days).
12. If you want to preserve it for 4-6 months, top it with smoked (and cooled) mustard oil till 1.5 inches above the pickle.
13. Serve along with Indian meals.
How to serve Mango Pickle –
It also goes well with masala thepla during road trips or train journeys. As both thepla and pickle have longer shelf lives it is easy to carry along for long journeys.
You can also pin this recipe on Pinterest for future referral.
Please do Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for detailed video recipes.
Instant Mango Pickle
- 1 Tsp Fenugreek Seeds - 1 Tsp
- 1 Tbsp Fennel Seeds - 1 Tbsp
- 1 Tbsp Mustard Seeds - 1 Tbsp
- 500 gms Raw Mango - 500 gms
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder - 1 Tsp
- 1 Tbsp Red Chilli Powder -1 Tbsp
- 1.5 Tbsp Salt - 1.5 Tbsp
- 2 Tbsp Store-bought Pickle Masala - 2 Tbsp (optional)
- 1 Tbsp Asafoetida
- 1/2 Cup Mustard Oil - 1/2 Cup
- In a pan dry roast fenugreek seeds till crunchy and aromatic. Transfer to a blender jar.
- Next, dry roast fennel seeds till aromatic and slightly brown. Transfer to the blender along with fenugreek seeds.
- Also, dry roast mustard seeds and transfer to blender jar.
- Let all the spices cool down and grind them coarsely. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat mustard oil till smoking point. Switch off the flame and let it cool a bit.
- Add asafetida (hing) and mix well.
- In a mixing bowl add washed, dried and cut raw mangoes.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt, store-bought pickle masala, grounded dry roasted spices.
- Finally, add oil (mixed with hing).
- Mix everything well together.
- Transfer to an air tight container and refrigerate. It will stay fresh for a longer time (15 days).
- If you want to preserve it for 4-6 months, top it with smoked (and cooled) mustard oil till 1.5 inches above the pickle.
- Serve along with Indian meals.